That title kinda sounds redundant, but it's not!
I have been hard at work putting together the auto updating system, which is the BIGGEST most important piece to go into this entire project as it means a couple of things:
As you can see now, this is a huge deal and I'm almost done with it ahead of schedule even!
Once this is done even if I can't make the BETA deadline I set my self I won't have to stress about it and me leaving on my adventure cycle touring in mid-May, nor will you have to because I will still be working on everything each day on my laptop and sending out updates using the auto update system to finally get it to BETA, but at the rate I'm going I'll have it to BETA by May!
We have just added Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) to the rendering pipeline.
This has 4 levels of quality and are adjusted through "Render Controls" in the Settings pull down top left of the viewer.
Set this to 0 to disable SSAO (default).
We are now officially in the ALPHA stage of development.
This is where everything goes horribly wrong and the world implodes..
Slightly less dramatic version.. this is where we begin testing of what has been done up to this point, make sure everything works and begin to add in features and test as we do so.
ALPHA testers should expect bugs and long pauses between tests to address said bugs, the going will be rough at times!
Just got done testing the connectivity between 3 viewers and the universe server, glad to say it's working, so now begins ALPHA stage of development, WOOO!
We are happy to introduce the enhanced scene explorer and inspector system, this gives in depth view of everything that is going on with the rendering system and allows for high control for debugging. For god mode users there will be additional tools available as well using this system. The system is accessed by pressing F2 by default.
Worked out all the bugs and successfully compiled the viewer on Linux, tomorrow I will compile for Windows, Terranova Engine is about to be ALPHA stage!
If all goes well we're looking at Monday or Tuesday Feb 3-4 as the launch of the ALPHA phase of development, I'm so stoked!
Introducing √ert, it gets it's origin from words vertices and vertex as in the individual points that make up 3D objects, this is the name of our virtual currency!
Well, things haven't been going quite as planned to get alpha started, turns out we had to fix a bug in the handshake process to allow for more than two people to be logged in. I feel that has now been corrected but another bug came up with re-adding a player to the scene after they had logged out, so once we get this bit fixed we can proceed finally, I hope!
Well that ended up being a convoluted mess.. 4 days trying to fix it while being sick and missing work, fun times!
I got the client/server stack to communicate once again, I'm not sure exactly what I did to break it so I had to redo it from scratch, it was not fun, but the code looks better now than it did, so bonus there.
Now begins the work to send and parse movement and rotation data from the players as they move about the environment, once that is working decently we can get Alpha testers going and some actual recordings of us messing about trying to break stuff!